Thursday, May 4, 2023

Butterfly -- positive and negative



 I got the idea for this card from a video by Laurel Beard, although I made several changes to make it my own. You can see the snippets I started with on the right. I just knew I wanted to do a patchwork, so I chose a solid and several prints, eventually narrowing it down to just one print. The larger white snippet I used as the backing behind the patchwork pieces to give me something sturdier to die-cut. Before die-cutting, I embossed the square, which added some much-needed texture to the blue.

I wasn't planning on using the die-cut butterfly at all, just the negative, but it sort of flew to that corner of the card and seemed to fit there.  The sentiment is from Purple Onion Designs.

This card is for these challenges:

Butterfly Challenge #181 -- colors straw and sky blue, plus butterfly

Snippets Playground #453 -- use snippets

Can You Handle the Pressure? -- use an embossing folder 

Pammie's Inky Pinkies #2317 -- anything goes

Word Art Wednesday #592 -- anything goes

Crafts Galore Encore #111 -- anything goes

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely patchwork card you've made here Sandy. I love that you used both the positive and negative of the die cutting. Great way to use up snippets.

    Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground. Once you’ve finished playing on the swings, meet me and Di up in the Treehouse for a nice cup of tea and some early morning toast! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully created butterfly card, love the background too!!
    Thank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure!
    Diane CYHTP Co-Owner
    {Nellies Nest}
    {Can You Handle The Pressure}
    {Stencil Fun}

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so stinkin' clever, LOVE what you have done with that butterfly, that's GENIUS!! I must pin for future reference. Lots of wonderful work here and great take on the challenge. Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Can You Handle the Pressure. I hope we see you back again soon!!
    Judy~ CYHTP DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great card Sandy - I LOVE the positive and negative twist you used - you were so right to use the die cut butterfly - pulls it all together.

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandy: This turned out so nicely. What a great way to "Make It Work" This is perfect. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful art with us at Word Art Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an impressive card. It didn't strike me that the cut out butterfly would be in the two papers until I saw it added at the bottom. Thankyou coming and playing in the Butterfly Garden with Me. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Dragonfly

 I don't usually do collage-type backgrounds, but I decided to try one. I started by stenciling in various shakes of pink and plum, then...

Popular Posts