Friday, November 4, 2022

Hanging Window Box Card




 

Today's card is a fun fold I've never seen before until Mrs. A, hostess of the Butterfly Challenge, posted it, a hanging window box card. The card is indeed a shallow box with a window in it, and the window overhangs the edge of the box. Check out the instructions here if that's not clear. It is a very easy card to make, unless you like to create problems for yourself, like I do. I decided I wanted to use patterned paper on the front, leaving a small edge to reveal the blue card underneath. So I made the card, cut the aperture, and set about cutting a hole in the patterned paper in the same place there's a hole in the box.

 After cutting, and having to discard, two versions (using the last two snippets of my first choice for patterned paper), I had to discard the original card I'd cut and folded because I'd ripped it when removing the ill-fitting patterned paper. So, I scored and folded another card, cut the window aperture, and very carefully cut and adjusted the patterned paper multiple times, and was able to successfully complete the card. Hours -- yes it took me hours to see the error of my ways -- I realized I could have put the patterned paper on first, then cut the aperture and everything would have fit with no agony! 

I used snippets for the scalloped edge around the window, the dies in the window and the sentiment panel. Dies used include Spellbinders circle and scallop circle, SSS butterfly, and various vines and leaves.

This card is entered in these challenges:

The Butterfly Challenge #175 -- Level 2: hanging window box card, heat embossing, butterfly, and two colors (3 actually, honeysuckle, hydrangea, and han blue).

Snippets Playground #440  -- use snippets (everything on the card; even the base was left over from my previous attempt)

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday -- thanks

Crafts Galore -- anything goes

Die-cut Divas -- anything with die-cuts

Double Trouble #124 -- something/anything plus twist of featuring wildlife (butterfly)

Creative Creases #44 -- anything with a fun fold

Word Art Wednesday #567 -- anything goes

Pammie's Inky Pinkies #2244 -- anything goes



14 comments:

  1. Lots of time and work went into this (the first one is the hardest, right?). Wonderful card! So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our November "Anything Goes" challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card-I must try it! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience in creating this card, it's funny how you come up with a simpler way to create after you have spent more than enough time on one to throw it out... don't feel alone with this, I can share this experience too. Well, your card came out just fine and love the look of a new fun fold. You have earned two chances on our random draw and if you enter your card into Creative Creases, a previous partner of ours, you can gain another chance. https://secretstamper.com/2022/10/anything-goes-with-a-fun-fold-for-creative-creases-44/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worth the trouble it took you though . . . it's a very pretty box card.
    Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground. Hope you enjoyed the Hallowe'en party and are going to attend the Bonfire Party this evening! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, so sorry your card gave you so much trouble, but the end result was worth it! I've never seen a card like this, either, so than you for the link. Thank you especially for sharing your card and determined creativity with us at Double Trouble!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, after you said "hours", I decided to look at the tutorial. I would have to say "days" for me...lol. Great job and thanks for sharing this new-to-us fun fold at Creative Creases.
    Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so bright and beautiful, Sandy. I love the pastel colors. Thanks for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday. I really appreciate your participation and I hope that you'll visit and share with us again soon.
    Karen
    www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! I love how cheery and bright the colors your used are. Thanks for playing along at Pammie's Inky Pinkies. Hope to see you again. Bonnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what really great fun fold card! I love the patterned paper you chose and so glad you stuck with the learning curve of a new fun fold. Plus sharing your work around for next time helps all of us fun fold addicts! I'm learning that liquid multi-purpose glue is my friend with layering and using it more and more. Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty snippets card - I love it, and well worth all the heartache making it!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card turned out pretty and even though it gave you the headache, now you will know what to do the next time and can make this fun design in an easier way :) thanks for sharing this with us at Double Trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty in spite of the headache! Love the colors you selected and the sweet patterned paper. Thank you for joining us at Double Trouble #124.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry that you had such a hard time making but the resulting card is lovely. I nearly always make the card shape up more than one time as I find easier and quicker ways for the instruction tutorial. Thankyou for coming and playing in the butterfly garden with me. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A hanging window card. I have to try this one, it's new to me. Lovely! Thank you for sharing to Creative Creases Challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Monochromatic CAS

 Isn't there a saying that goes something like: there's nothing simple about clean and simple?  Or no, is it just me? Anyway, I trie...

Popular Posts