Wednesday, April 10, 2019

It's new to me


       I know there are people who love to try new folds, but it's something I generally struggle with. However, Mrs. A's latest Butterfly Challenge featured something called a Dutch fold, which I'd never seen before. I was intrigued, so I went looking for a tutorial. Well, where have I been -- SCS ran a tutorial in 2011!  I also found a more recent tutorial that was simple and easy to follow, and to my delight, this turned out to be a) an easy card to make and endlessly adaptable to whatever size you want to make it; and b) a great way to use up snippets.
       To build the card, I used an almost half-sheet of light blue, scoring it at 5.5 inches and using a scallop punch on the bottom of the flap. I used a white snippet and another blue snippet to create a panel on the flap. The Dutch doors are also blue snippets.
       For the main panel on my card, I die-cut watercolor paper with a Memory Box die (called Spring Border, I think.) Then I used Distress Inks to watercolor the flowers and foliage, cut it to fit the blue panel and adhered it. The butterfly is punched from a small snippet of a yellow print. The doors are covered with snippets of a grid-patterned paper, with a sentiment on one side and the rest of the border die-cut on the other. On the inside, another white snippet covers the raw edges where the Dutch doors are attached.

This card is for these challenges:
Butterfly Challenge #120 -- Dutch Door and butterfly (not sure if the blue qualifies as denim or not)
Double D -- watercolor
Pixie's Snippet Playground #349 -- snippets
Word Art Wednesday #382 -- anything goes
Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge -- use patterned paper
Catch the Bug -- anything goes

6 comments:

  1. Adorable! I haven't made a double dutch fold card in ages (thanks for inspiration) but the last one I did create has been repinned over & over on Pinterest ... seems to be my most popular card! LOL Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Watercolor’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sandy,
    So glad to see you using the Dutch fold. I do provide a tutorial for all of the card shapes which is one of the tabs on the butterfly blog under the Banner heading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger did a funny just then and published before
    I had time to finish. Thankyou for coming and spinning the butterfly wheel with me this week. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Sandy - such pretty colours as well. It almost looks loke a house with very pretty tiles edging the roof! Ages since I made a Dutch fold card - they're good fun and quite different without be too arduous to make!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab idea.
    Love it.
    Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnuts patterned paper challenge.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great fold.
    Love the pretty, spring feel of it.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Stencils and diecuts

  I've had the idea for this card for a while, but I finally got around to making it this week.  I started by stenciling the stone fence...

Popular Posts